These delicious muffins are everything with a cup of coffee on an autumn day!
The use of the entire orange (zest and juice) give them a light and citrusy sweetness that is absolutely lovely and allows the added sugars to be very low for such a wonderful treat!
- 3 cups organic all-purpose flour
- 1 cup organic oats
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 3 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 4 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- Fresh squeezed juice from 2 oranges
- Zest from two oranges
- 1 1/4 cup organic unsweetened almond milk
- 4 tablespoons organic butter, melted
- 2/3 cup dried tart cherries, rough-chopped
- 1 cup walnuts, rough-chopped
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Place all wet ingredients in a bowl and stir with wire whisk.
Place all dry ingredients in a large bowl and stir with wire whisk.
Make a well in the center and pour wet ingredients in, stir with a spatula just until combined (don’t overmix).
Pour into 12 large or 24 regular muffin pan.
Sprinkle each muffin with brown sugar (optional).
Bake in 400 oven for 17 minutes or until cooked throughout.
Let stand 2 minutes then remove from pan.